Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Coen Brothers do it again.


Based on a novel from Charles Portis, True Grit tells a story of a U.S. Marshal who is called on a mission by a stubborn and witty little girl. She needs to find her father's murderer and get revenge. The story first became a film in 1969, in which John Wayne performed as the Marshal. I cannot say much about the original screening, because I haven't seen it yet, but it easily got into my Netflix queue when I heard people that really do understand about good movies told me it is an amazing piece. Not forgetting to mention, of course, the presence of the glorious Wayne, who, after so many great Westerns (the best ones I have seen), became an idol in my life.
Despite the fact that the story is a very simple Western fabula, what does go beyond delight is the type of language used. When listening to how each character got their points their very own way, my heart fell for Portis and it definitely made me want to read the book. I do have two items in different queues to take care of now. True Grit, 1969 and True Grit, the book.
Talking about adding movies to my queue, I've got two words for you: Jeff Bridges. For the last few months, I have been watching many of the movies he was in, and I have been completely blown away by each of his performances. It is hard to understand that a man can change so much from one character to another. That's called acting. He is one of the few that can do that with concrete success today. I have to start watching more and more of his movies, because he is slowly becoming one of my favorite actors since humanity started filming. I guess I do have to give some credit for the amazing character he got too, but I am not sure if I would have been in catharsis by the end of the movie if Bridges was not cast to play the part. Jeff continues to be "The Dude", if you know what I am talking about.
Not drifting too far from the same shore(the "acting" subject), I would like to admit that yes, I felt something very good for Matt Damon the first time in my life. I would never imagine Damon being as good as he was in the new Coen film. In fact, before the movie started, I had even forgotten he was cast in it, even though I saw him in the trailer. I was not stoked about watching his work, because that is not the feeling I had from him, ever. I always found him a mediocre actor. After watching the movie, the thought I had was that I would definitely remember him in the next movie trailer he'd be in. In fact, I will be ready to watch it. At least I hope I will. He was subtle, his voice changed, his eyes were different, he interpreted the character in a very interesting way. Simple and honest.
Not forgetting the 14 year old Hailee Steinfeld, who played my favorite character in the movie. I am always glad to watch young talented people on the screen and she was just fantastic. Very well articulated, eyes full of life, a great personality and a very mature and professional posture. Criticism: none. A round of applause to the young Hailee. I only hope she continues in the good side of the coin and keeps acting for high quality films.
True Grit can be considered a very slow movie. The tempo and the flow reminded me of "The Road to Perdition", which is definitely a calmer film, with pauses and many artistic shots. I find films that are free of extreme excitement and passion very charming, because it is a different view of a piece that could become cliché and boring, but truth is, it has to be very well done and maintained, because otherwise, it can go in a complicated direction. The Coen Brothers had the perfect amount of excitement and upbeat throughout the movie, making it not only cinematographically beautiful, but also a down and low Western from our times. Great direction, great photography, great acting. It is very clear that the Coens did it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment